Experience Skill Danger Courage Rescue
That sums up the story contained in the book which began with a routine merchant marine crew and cargo vessel as they plied the waters off the coast of Somalia. What started as routine trip to Mombasa, Kenya, ended in a harrowing journey for the Captain and his crew of the Maersk Alabama pursued and finally caught by Somali pirates.
A Captain’s Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALS, and Dangerous Days at Sea; a book I read several months ago is now a movie based on this Captains experience 280 miles off of the east coast of Africa. While commanding a cargo vessel in April 2009, Captain Richard Phillips was pursued by Somali pirates who hijacked the container ship and took him hostage for ransom. The book was as gripping to me as a Tom Clancy novel and although you know what will happen in the end, the story is engaging all the way through.
“I knew that we had to cast Somali actors to play these parts, but there’s no obviously Somali acting community in Los Angeles or New York.” “So we went to Minneapolis, where the main Somali community in the U.S. is;” Director Paul Greengrass said in an interview with Christiane Amanpour of CNN. Greengrass discovered “that community is actually incredibly vibrant, incredibly creative, filled with musicians and actors and writers.”
Movie Title : Captain Phillips
Genre : Action, Drama
Runtime : 134 minutes
Release Date : 2013-10-11
Rating : PG-13
Actors : Tom Hanks, Barkhad Abdi, Catherine Keener, Michael Chernus, Corey Johnson
A film aficionado game.
If you like to play a little movie trivia and have the computer guess the name of a movie you describe in a series of questions, GO HERE:
- A Captain’s Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALS, and Dangerous Days at Sea by Richard Phillips (amazon.com)
- Captain Phillips – film review (standard.co.uk)
- Controversy surrounds ‘Captain Phillips’ (cnn.com)
- Hanks holds ‘mirror up to nature’ in “Captain Phillips” (amanpour.blogs.cnn.com)
- Somali Pirate Attacks on the Decline (markosun.wordpress.com)
- Harry Walker Speaker Agency – Captain Richard Phillips
- ‘Captain Phillips’ is a personal, powerful thriller (orlandoweekly.com)