Bring on the spandex and the latex! Show us your ________. Never mind about all that, let’s talk fantasy and comic book entertainment.
Comic-Con San Diego had its share of glitz & glamor, pulled out all the stops on the major Sci-fi and fantasy entertainment wing in movies and TV. Special appearances by graphic artists, writers, directors and actors were on the scene and into the Q&A.
There was plenty of latex and spandex to go around as attendees were there in full regalia. Not surprising to anyone, announcements were made by officials working on behalf of several big franchises. What was surprising to some were the announcements themselves.
Top of the list was by Zack Snyder when he dispelled any rumors that the next big DC Comics movie would be the JLA, instead he announced it will feature Superman & Batman. A brief promo video was brought along to show, as well as the combined logo for the movie pair. Henry Cavill will remain as Superman however no formal announcement for the role of Batman.
Doctor Who, fans weren’t disappointed as the UK’s longest running Sci-Fi TV series had representatives at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con. It had its own panel session, featuring Matt Smith, Jenna-Louise Coleman, Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss and producer Marcus Wilson.
Perhaps one of the best unscripted announcements came after the title of the next Avengers movie was released. “Who’s Ultron?” Chris Evans asked in a video interview. He then repeated the question to his co-star, Scarlett Johansson. I guess you will be finding out soon enough but here’s a hint, it’s not about how old someone is that goes by the name, Ultron. As long as we’re talking Chris Evans, the movie he will star in Captain America: The Winter Soldier to be released in theaters April 4th, 2014, brings his long time friend and military allie Bucky, back from the grave. How’s this done you might ask? In the first Captain America movie he fell into a deep gorge from a fast moving train, now we learn he was frozen in a block of ice and unthawed. Just like Captain America, he’s back on his feet snapping salutes and pounding on his enemies and one of them is his friend. Who knows we might soon be seeing a resurgence in Woolly Mammoth’s.
Even though the Superrman franchise is considered one of the most recognized icons in comics, the Marvel / Disney brand had the best featured intro-presentation by Tom Hiddleston. You must watch this video.
- Doctor Who star Karen Gillan reveals her completely bald head at Comic Con! (mirror.co.uk)
- Gallery: Comic Con in San Diego 21st July 2013 (metro.co.uk)
- ‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’ At Comic-Con: Joe And Anthony Russo On Directing The Next ‘Cap Adventure (huffingtonpost.com)
- Andrew Garfield & Jamie Foxx: ‘Amazing Spider-Man 2’ at Comic-Con! (justjared.com)
- ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2’ At Comic-Con: Sony Brings Spidey, ‘Robocop’ & More To San Diego (LIVE UPDATES) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Jared Padalecki & Jensen Ackles: ‘Supernatural’ at Comic-Con! (justjared.com)
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Joss Whedon sheds some light on the new villain
- Age of Ultron (2015): Ultron Will Get A New Origin Story in The Avengers
- Justice League Movie In 2017: Warner Bros. Announces Superhero Team Up At Comic-Con (huffingtonpost.com)
- Hollywood facing summer crisis with multiple big budget flops (the Telegraph UK)
- Aaron-Taylor Johnson Talks Quicksilver in The Avengers 2 (movieweb.com)
- Publicist announces ‘Law & Order’ star Dennis Farina dies at 69 (Fox celebrity news)